Sunday, 13 November 2022
Brasserie De Abdijmolen
Abdij van Park 4
The Backgammon Club Leuven is pleased to announce the 13th Leuven Backgammon Open on Sunday, 13 November 2022 in the beautiful Brasserie de Abdijmolen in Heverlee (Leuven). The Abdijmolen is ideally situated on the outskirts of Leuven City Centre in Heverlee next to the beautifully restored Abdij van Park. We’re looking forward to your participation!
Registration and fees
The registration fee is €40 per person, payable to the following account:
Backgammon Club Leuven
IBAN BE84 7360 4493 9659
The registration fee includes:
- At arrival: coffee, tea, juice, water, viennoiseries
- Lunch: soup, sandwiches, coffee
- Participation in the main tournament
Don’t forget to register using the online registration form.
- 09:00 Welcome: breakfast and coffee
- 10:00 Rounds 1 to 3
- 13:30 Lunch
- 14:00 Rounds 4 to 7
- 18:30 Prize ceremony
- 19:00 Dinner (optional)
Swiss format, 7 rounds, 5-point matches.
Clock: Bronstein, 10 minutes bank time plus 12 seconds per move.
Fonske is the name of the statue of the book-reading, beer-spilling student at the Rector De Somerplein in the city of Leuven. Following the example of the ‘Brugse Zotten’, Fonske challenges backgammon clubs in Belgium to show what they are worth and compete for a ‘Fonske surprise’, in addition to eternal fame and glory.
- Before the start of the main tournament, all participating clubs identify themselves and their players to the tournament director. Each club is represented by a club captain, who will be the spokesperson for the club regarding Fonske’s challenge.
- If a player from club A wins a match in the main tournament against a player from a different club B, club A scores 1 point. Nothing happens to club B.
- A match between two players from the same club does not count.
- At the end of each round of the main tournament, the number of points scored by a club is calculated and added to the number of points already obtained by the club.
- At no occasion will the pairings in the main tournament be influenced by Fonske’s challenge. The pairings are exclusively determined by the results in the main (individual) tournament according to the Swiss tournament format.
- There will be two prizes:
- One for the club with the highest number of points per player.
- Another one for the club with the highest number of points in total.