Sunday, 12 November 2023
Sport & Squash Club De Vaart — New Venue
Kolonel Begaultlaan 15
The Backgammon Club Leuven is pleased to announce the 14th Leuven Backgammon Open on Sunday, 12 November 2023 in Sport & Squash Club De Vaart at the border of the canal Leuven – Mechelen. We’re looking forward to your participation!
Registration and fees
Maximum 32 players. Registration deadline (payment of the registration fee): Monday, November 6.
The registration fee is €25 (€35 for non-BGFed.be members, extra €10 includes BGFed.be membership for 2024) per person, payable to the following account:
Backgammon Club Leuven
IBAN BE84 7360 4493 9659
The registration fee includes:
- At arrival: coffee or tea, viennoiseries
- Lunch: soup, sandwiches
- Participation in the main tournament
For our convenience, please register by the online registration form.
- 09:00 Welcome: breakfast and coffee
- 10:00 Rounds 1 to 3
- 13:30 Lunch
- 14:00 Rounds 4 to 7
- 18:30 Prize ceremony
- 19:00 Dinner (optional)
Swiss format, 7 rounds, 5-point matches, with doubling cube.
Clock: Bronstein, 10 minutes bank time plus 12 seconds per move.
We offer no money prizes, but will provide for
- trophies generously sponsored by BGFed.be, the Belgian Backgammon Federation
- surprises for those unlucky enough to do the Devil’s Dance (= to dance with double 6 against a 1-point board)
The tournament is sponsored by BGFed.be, the Belgian Backgammon Federation. All match results will count for the Belgian rating list. Membership to the federation is required. If you’re not a member yet, you can join the federation for only €10 and this already for 2024.
Fonske is the name of the statue of the book-reading, beer-spilling student at the Rector De Somerplein in the city of Leuven. Following the example of the ‘Brugse Zotten’, Fonske challenges backgammon clubs in Belgium to show what they are worth and compete for a ‘Fonske surprise’, in addition to eternal fame and glory.
- Before the start of the main tournament, all participating clubs identify themselves and their players to the tournament director. Each club is represented by a club captain, who will be the spokesperson for the club regarding the Fonske Challenge.
- If a player from club A wins a match in the main tournament against a player from a different club B, club A scores 1 point. Nothing happens to club B.
- A match between two players from the same club does not count.
- At the end of each round of the main tournament, the number of points scored by a club is calculated and added to the number of points already obtained by the club.
- At no occasion will the pairings in the main tournament be influenced by the Fonske Challenge. The pairings are exclusively determined by the results in the main (individual) tournament according to the Swiss tournament format.
- The club with the highest number of points in total wins the Fonske Challenge.